Electrical Power Systems Software Engineer
Job type: Permanent
Sector: IT & Communications
Responsible for advanced Power Systems Application software development and successful delivery of assigned functions to meet corporate project/product commitments. The responsibilities include: working with Electric Utilities or ISOs (Independent System Operators) and Transmission and Distribution System Operators on functional software specifications, designing, coding, testing, integration, application tuning and delivery.
* Act as a member in Software Center of Excellence, representing the face of high-quality design and development practices. Implement new functionalities in power system application software which includes EMS (Energy Management System), DTS (Dispatcher Training Simulator) and Modeling (EMS/DTS/Oil and Gas and Distribution) applications.
* Provide maintenance of power systems application functionality; including code fixes, documentation, and user interfaces.
* Collaborate with system/project engineers, frontend developers and Energy Management System (EMS) and Distribution Management System (DMS) application developers to implement solutions that are aligned with product direction.
* Consults with other technical leads to ensure that project-related system design guidelines are being followed. Responsible for writing EMS Functional Software Designs.
* Provides input to technical lead on schedules and cost estimates.
* Interfaces with customers on general and specific issues within area of functional expertise.
* Provides marketing support for proposals and demonstrations to potential customers.
* Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Power Systems or in “STEM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) plus at least two (2) years development or project delivery experience in related field OR Master’s Degree in Computer Science or in “STEM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math).
* Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. GE may agree to sponsor an individual for an employment visa now or in the future if there is a shortage of individuals with particular skills.
* Work and/or academic experience in the power systems area.
* Excellent programming skills in C++, Java or other related language, as required. Knowledge on Perl, PowerShell and SQL (MSSQL and/or T-SQL) scripting languages. Good understanding of database operation.
* Excellent knowledge of assigned technical area and a strong understanding of the EMS and DMS software.
* Good understanding of power systems and/or energy management systems with focus on Distribution Network Applications like Power flow, Fault Location, Isolation and Service Restoration, Load and Volt Var Management and Distribution Operator training Simulator.
* Good understanding of power systems and/or energy management systems with focus on transmission Network Applications like State Estimation, Contingency Analysis, Optimal Power Flow or Dispatcher training Simulator.
* Knowledge and experience with electric utility industry practices
* Strong knowledge of customer perspective and needs.
* Proven software design skills at the application and technical area level.
* Ability to see integration issues and to preclude schedule impacts.
* Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills. Ability to write professional and technical reports and procedures. Ability to make formal and informal presentation to technical and non-technical staff and customers.
* Ability to work independently and be self-motivated.
* Demonstrates a high degree of personal and professional integrity.
* Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
* Ability to travel and work at customer site, based on the project demands.
GE (NYSE:GE) drives the world forward by tackling its biggest challenges. By combining world-class engineering with software and analytics, GE helps the world work more efficiently, reliably, and safely. GE people are global, diverse and dedicated, operating with the highest integrity and passion to fulfill GE’s mission and deliver for our customers.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening.
United States;Florida, Georgia, Washington;Redmond, Melbourne, Atlanta;