Senior Engineering Manager Air Combat Training
Job type: Permanent
Requisition ID: 15157
Want to work with some of the most talented, dedicated people on the planet? Do you value relationships, commitment, innovation and integrity? Want to be a part of a company that has been named numerous times as America’s Best Employer in Aerospace and Defense by Forbes magazine?
Then Collins Aerospace is the place for you. Join our team and build a rewarding career while helping to deliver the most trusted source of aviation and high-integrity solutions in the world.
We are currently searching for a Senior Engineering Manager – Air Combat Training to join our team in Carlsbad, CA (2110). A comprehensive relocation package is available for qualified candidates. Employing some of the most talented, dedicated people on the planet is not by chance. People from all over the globe choose Collins Aerospace as the place to build a rewarding career, while helping create and deliver communications, integration, and engineering solutions that our global customers demand so that our world keeps moving and stays connected. It’s an exciting time to become a part of our team. Join us and discover how high your career can soar at Collins Aerospace.
"I feel the need…the need for speed!" If you like the movie "Top Gun", you will love the Test and Training Instrumentation Engineering Department.
Collins Aerospace Test & Training Instrumentation (T&TI) Engineering is responsible for all product line and design engineering tasks related to the design, analysis, test and certification of Air Combat Training systems. The Senior Engineering Manager will work in the Mission Systems T&TI Engineering Department leading a team of software and systems engineers solving challenges in next generation pilot proficiency training.
Collins Aerospace is a pioneer in the development and deployment of innovative communication solutions for government applications. The T&TI Engineering Department develops state-of-the-art Range Products for cryptographic, datalink, networking, and command and control applications. We specialize in the development of high quality, highly secure solutions for U.S. military communication systems, navigation systems, and networks. We mature products from concept phase through accreditation and factory production.
The T&TI Engineering Department is looking for a dynamic Senior Engineering Manager to provide leadership for software systems engineering and integration within Collins Aerospace Government Systems. The leader will be required to “Think Big” through systems of systems software CONOPS, utilization, and business model. The candidate will guide the team in all phases of systems and software development from requirements through verification and sustainment. The candidate will guide a team of engineers making design trade-offs and ensuring a high quality work product results.
Strong leadership, organizational, and project management/earned value management skills are required. This leader will facilitate an environment of communication, cooperation, and innovation. A strong candidate will have leadership experience, system of systems experience, and an understanding of the software development and integration process.
Focus for the candidate will be on technical expertise, employee development (coaching, mentoring and career development), process compliance, and resource management. The position demands an ability and willingness to spend time on day-to-day performance management, employee development, talent acquisition/retention, and strategic support of the business.
In order to be successful in this role, the candidate must have first-hand practical experience and be able to provide guidance to engineering team members in the following areas:
* Technical direction – candidate must be able to direct the utilization of advanced principles, theories, and concepts for products and software development; candidate must maintain awareness of state-of-the-art technology and the company’s competitive position including FACE technologies.
* Program execution planning – candidate must be able to guide team members on the creation of product artifacts, procedures and execution baselines, program execution and staffing plans, and technical risk assessments in support of customer expectations and business objectives.
* Project management – candidate must remain cognizant of, as well as guide team members on, the management of scope, schedule and budget for engineering activities; candidate must be well versed in using Earned Value Management System (EVMS) performance measurement; candidate must be able to assign and coordinate staffing associated with engineers, contractors, subcontractors, quality and software support.
* Process management – candidate must be able to guide team members on the utilization of internal engineering processes and provide assurance that the software development is consistent with requirements for product security, safety, reliability, maintainability, performance, qualification and certification.
* Bid and proposal – candidate must be able to lead, review, and provide guidance to team members on bid and proposal activities for pursuits.
* Personnel administration – candidate must be able to perform hiring, performance assessment and personnel issue management for a team of technical staff members.
* Candidate will lead the engineering team using strong interaction, interpersonal, mentoring and negotiating skills.
Candidates must possess the following:
* US Citizenship. Candidate must be capable of obtaining a U.S. DOD Secret Clearance. Applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements. Preferred applicants will currently hold a SECRET (or above) security clearance, or have held one within the past two years.
* Bachelor’s degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM) discipline
* Practical experience in all aspects/phases of product and software development
* Previous experience as a Project Engineer/CAM/Project Manager
* Previous software development experience
A successful candidate may possess the following:
* Previous experience with bid and proposal efforts, Decision Point process, and SEER tools
* Background and / or knowledge of test and training systems.
* Background and / or knowledge of digital electronics and experience with digital electronics design principles and techniques.
* Previous experience with DOORS, UML, FACE is preferred
* Background and / or knowledge of data links, and information assurance
* Possess strong leadership skills as demonstrated with interpersonal interaction, individual mentoring to develop the team composition, and training.
* Excellent written and verbal communications skills and the ability to work well with others in a professional team environment.
* Good organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks, while balancing priorities and schedules are important attributes.
* Self-starter and have strong analytical skills.
At Collins Aerospace, we believe a solid work-life balance creates a healthy lifestyle and inspires creativity and innovation. We value our people and invest in their development, growth and success at our company by providing development opportunities through Collins Aerospace University, networking, mentoring, and tuition reimbursement.
And that’s just for starters.
Some of our competitive benefits package includes:
* Medical, dental, and vision insurance
* Three weeks of vacation for newly hired employees
* Company-paid winter holiday shutdown for most locations
* Generous 401(k) plan that matches 62.5 percent of the first 8 percent of eligible compensation you contribute (or 5 percent if you save 8 percent)
* An Incentive Pay Plan based upon company performance
* Tuition reimbursement
* And more
Interested yet? Apply now and embark on your next worthwhile adventure!
Collins Aerospace is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected status.