Research Product Development Engineer
Job type: Permanent
Sector: IT & Communications
Research & Product Development Engineer
Sargent Aerospace & Defense is a premier global supplier of custom engineered, high quality products to the Aerospace and Defense Industries. Sargent holds a leadership position in this highly competitive environment as a result of its commitment to investment in people, technology, facilities, new products, processes and equipment. Sargent is comprised of two market focused groups: Sargent’s Engineered Products Group and Sargent’s Aftermarket Services Group. This group structure allows Sargent to provide focused, customized solutions to the market segments served, while leveraging Sargent’s organizational strengths across every business unit.
Sargent Aerospace & Defense products are found on many major Commercial and Military aircraft in operation worldwide. Products and systems include hydraulic actuation and valve systems, locking actuators, steering metering control valves, fuse pins, hot forged bolts, pneumatic ducting and valve seals, tubing system alignment joints, engine hot section and structural components, airframe components, shock strut bearings, Teflon lined spherical bearings and broad component maintenance, overhaul, spares logistics and power-by-the-hour support services. Sargent is also a major supplier of hydraulic control valves to the US Navy on all Nuclear Class Submarine programs. Sargent has an immediate opening for a Research and Product Development Engineer.
Purpose and Scope:
The Research & Product Development Engineer will report to an Engineering Manager and is responsible for the design, testing and documentation of new products as well as supporting manufacturing. This role will collaborate with sales, manufacturing and the customer to provide a solution to the customers’ design challenges.
Required Skills, Education and Experience:
* Bachelor’s degree in Physics, Mechanical or Aerospace or Mechatronics Engineering
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills and MS Office
* Up to 15% travel
* Working knowledge of 3D modeling software (Pro/Engineer or CREO preferred)
* US Citizenship mandatory, security clearance a plus.
* Attendance and punctuality at work are essential functions of this position.
Roles and Responsibilities:
* Interact with customers to predict future requirements and develop key technologies consistent with long term proprietary strategic position.
* Maintain knowledge of and evaluate new technologies thru research and test, including attendance of industry symposiums, seminars, and conferences.
* Write research and grant proposals in communication with research sponsors and customers.
* Lead and execute R&D projects to plan on time and within budget for all Sargent product lines.
* Conduct research thru application of sound theory, engineering principles, analytical models (stress, FEA, fatigue, performance) and apply problem-solving methods to support new product development and/or sustaining production of existing designs.
* Develop new technology concepts in consideration of DFM, DFA, reliability, functionality, marketability, and maintenance to exceed customer expectations.
* Write test plans and test reports in support of new programs and maintain accurate design and test data records.
* Summarize R&D results and communicates findings to management and customers.
* Support intellectual property strategy with unique and patentable ideas demonstrated by test and implemented in new product designs.
* Establish new technology readiness through appropriate development tests with documentation to enable design team application.
Preferred Skills, Education and Experience:
* Successful experience in an R&D and product engineering environment.
* Experience with advanced design and manufacturing processes.
* Experience with hydraulic and electromechanical design and lined bearing design.
* 5+ years of aerospace and defense industry design and customer experience.
* Mechanical hands-on aptitude displayed through personal hobbies/projects.
We offer competitive compensation and excellent benefits including Medical, Dental, and company matched 401k plan.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.
Sargent Aerospace & Defense
Job Location: Tucson