Principal Systems Engineer Payloads
Job type: Permanent
Principal Systems Engineer, Payloads
L3 SSG has an opportunity for a Principal Systems Engineer to join our talented engineering organization. Principal members of our development staff are technical leaders across multi-disciplined teams, possessing expert understanding of aerospace technology and payload architectures for spacecraft sub-systems and instruments.
The scope of the position requires a proven track-record with a range of responsibilities from spacecraft requirements management & allocation, system concept development, design & analysis to procurement and integration & test of payload level sensor systems for the aerospace and commercial community. Principal Systems Engineers are the primary technical interface to our customers and the technical leads on our programs responsible for directing engineering analysis and evaluation efforts across all technical disciplines for complex electro-optical (EO) systems. Additional responsibilities include developing alternative designs to satisfy mission level requirements, documenting design approaches, establishing design verification & validation, and developing plans to manufacture and test payload sensor systems. Principal level engineers are expected to support new business opportunities, lead program tiger teams, participate in industry-wide events, and actively develop junior level staff.
* BS in an Engineering discipline, MS preferred.
* 15 plus years of experience in developing EO systems or space payloads.
* Expert knowledge in system-level hardware design & development, requirements definition, analysis, and risk mitigation for complex systems.
* Experience with high reliability space flight programs and radiation-hardened environments are required.
* Experience generating cost & schedule plans and estimates is required.
* Experience as a lead engineer, project engineer, or IPT lead is required.
* Experience with Model-Based Systems Engineering and/or DOORS is highly desirable.
* Experience developing systems and general engineering processes and procedures is a plus.
* Experience supporting new business pursuits and proposals efforts is highly desirable.
* Excellent oral, written and presentation skills for interfacing with senior management and customers as well as mentoring of other engineers.
* Existing TS/SCI (SSBI) security clearance or the ability to satisfy requirements for a TS/SCI (SSBI). Current, active clearance preferred.
* Ability to travel 25% travel on average, with up to 50% as programmatic needs require
Equal Opportunity Employer – minorities / females / veterans / individuals with disabilities / sexual orientation / gender identity.
L3 SSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage minorities, women, veterans and disabled individuals to apply. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
U.S. Citizenship status required.
NOTE: This position can be a Salary Grade T05 or T06 based on the candidate’s qualifications as they relate to the skills, experience and responsibility requirements for the position .
L3 Technologies is a prime contractor in Command, Control, Communications, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (C 3 ISR) systems, aircraft modernization and maintenance, and government services. L3 is also a leading provider of a broad range of electronic systems used on military and commercial platforms. Our customers include the U.S. Department of Defense and its prime contractors, U.S. Government intelligence agencies, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Department of State, U.S. Department of Justice, allied foreign governments, domestic and foreign commercial customers and select other U.S. federal, state and local government agencies.
L3 SSG specializes in the development, manufacturing and qualification of remote E-O sensing payloads, instruments and major sub-systems primarily for space as well as unique airborne applications. Space mission areas include major science investigation, situational awareness, launch detection and weather analysis. Primary markets served include NASA, DoD, intelligence communities and commercial space. Primary airborne contributions include hyperspectral payloads for specialized overseas missions and critical line-of-sight control sub-systems for targeting systems.
US Security Clearance Required
Day - 1st
Yes, 25 % of the Time
Division - SSG-20000054
Jun 19, 2019, 4:00:00 AM
Email this job
To access this job from another device, Email this information to yourself.
Name should not be empty
Recipient’s email address
Email should not be empty
Please enter a valid Email
Email has been sent sucessfully
No locations found