Plant Design Engineer RD
Location: United States
Job type: Permanent
Plant Design Engineer - R&D-18001171
Praxair, Inc. is a leading industrial gas company in North and South America and one of the largest worldwide. With market capitalization of approximately $40 billion and 2017 sales of $11 billion, the company employs over 26,000 people globally and has been named to the Dow Jones World Sustainability Index for 15 consecutive years. Praxair produces, sells and distributes atmospheric, process and specialty gases, and high-performance surface coatings.
Our products, services and technologies are making our planet more productive by bringing efficiency and environmental benefits to a wide variety of industries, including aerospace, chemicals, food and beverage, electronics, energy, healthcare, manufacturing, primary metals and many others.
In this role you will be an innovative leader driving the future of how Praxair designs its Air Separation Units (ASU). As a member of the Plant Design and Construction R&D team, you will be responsible for identifying and leading programs to drive improvements in the electrical, mechanical and civil design, impacting the capital cost and schedule of an ASU. The candidate will apply their experience in the design and construction of industrial facilities to identify, evaluate and deploy new technologies, create new tools and update internal standards. To achieve this, you will collaborate closely with your counterparts in the Engineering and Construction organization in all the regions that Praxair operates in.
The successful candidate will have a strong background in engineering design, experience using relevant tools from Bentley and/or Autodesk, with emphasis on Electrical and Mechanical Engineering aspects of plant design. Field experience in the construction phase of capital projects will be a big plus. The candidate must possess strong analytical and problem solving skills, project management skills and an ability communicate well at all levels within the organization. The position provides an opportunity to champion new technologies and own innovation projects from initial ideation to field deployment.
* Identify, evaluate and champion the deployment of new solutions that target improvements in cost, schedule, quality and safety in capital projects while working closely with partners in Global Engineering and Regional Project Execution groups. Focus will be on driving simplification and standardization of mechanical and electrical installations, and increasing constructability.
* Develop new tools and methods using your knowledge Electrical and Mechanical design of Air Separation Units to evaluate various options early on in the design phase, resulting in an optimized design
* Manage cost and schedule of development programs, assess manufacturability and constructability of new ideas, and perform cost/benefits analysis
* Build support for new programs by engaging with stakeholders in senior management as part of Stage-Gate process, establish collaborative relationship with other organizations
(Salary and Job Level Commensurate with Experience)
* Bachelor’s (BS) degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering (or related discipline) AND 3 or more years of relevant industry experience in engineering design for capital projects
* Knowledge of industrial codes and standards of practice
* Ability to travel up to 20% of the time (domestic and international)
* Self-starter with excellent interpersonal and communication skills
* MS degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
* 5 or more years of relevant industry experience, with 2 or more years leading projects, working with cross functional teams
* Background in mechanical, structural and/or electrical design for industrial plants, preferably in the chemicals industry
* Experience in field construction of chemical facilities (industrial gases industry experience will be a plus)
* Experience with cryogenic equipment and systems will be a plus
Primary Location: New York-Tonawanda
Job - Engineering
Job Posting: Apr 23, 2018, 5:00:00 AM
Unposting Date: Sep 1, 2018, 4:59:00 AM
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.