Graduate Software Engineer
Location: South East
Job type: Permanent
Graduate Software Engineer
Ampthill - Bedfordshire
Specific Job Description
Because of our continued success and the recent award of significant contracts, the company is continuing in an exciting period of growth. Currently we a have vacancy for a high-calibre Graduate Software Engineer to join our Software team.
Candidates will have drive and be enthusiastic about change and challenge, with ambition for both our business and their personal success. In return, we offer a full career with potential for technical and/or management advancement, support by out commitment to ongoing professional training. We are an equal opportunities employer with a strong belief in both corporate and personal ethical standards and aim to provide an empowered and supportive working environment with a very competitive reward package.
We are interested in seeing applications from anyone with any of the following:
* Competence with at least one of the following programming languages: Java 8, C#
* An understanding of threading and concurrent programming in either Java or C#
* An understanding of unit testing and unit test/mocking frameworks, i.e. NUnit/Junit and Moq/Mockito
* Experience of relational database design and SQL
* HMI/GUI design and development
* GIS frameworks (e.g. Luciad)
* Understanding of entity framework for .NET and the Java persistence API for Java
* Experience of Continuous Integration
* Confident in use of IntelliJ (or Eclipse) and Visual Studio 2013
* Experience with the Agile software development methodology and Scrum
Job Reference Number
Hours Per Week
United Kingdom (UK)
Lockheed Martin (UK) Ampthill is a rapidly changing, dynamic part of the Lockheed Martin Corporation with both domestic and international customers. It consists of three business areas focusing on Vehicles, Special Projects and Mission Support, which provide a variety of products and services to the MoD and other customers including the Warrior CSP, Scout and support to the Land Environment Air Picture Provision capability. We are looking for talented individuals to join the company, in return, we can offer an exciting and challenging career path. Please note that Lockheed Martin Ampthill work a 9 day fortnight with the site closed every second Friday.
Clearance Required for Role
Graduate, Intern or Apprentice Vacancy?
Required skills, qualifications and experience
Graduate Engineers are required to join a multi-discipline Engineering Function, supporting a diverse range of activities, and this will include:
* Plan own work within defined constraints with the assistance of engineering and technical mentors
* Provide overall technical support and assistance to engineers
* Perform technical support and assistance to engineers
* Perform technical analyses and prepare engineering reports
* Participate in the management of selected subcontracted technical
* Develop the skills and working knowledge of project standards and procedures
* Meet plans, schedules and costs with assistance from engineering technical mentors
* Successfully complete and apply appropriate training courses
The role requires the candidate to have a broad Engineering or Science background, knowledge of mathematical modelling is advantage. You must be able to think literally generating novel innovate solutions to complex problems. The person will ideally have an interest in technology keeping themselves abreast of new developments.
Desired skills, qualifications and experience
* Good verbal and written communication skills
* ability to work well in a team environment
* Be self motivated needing minimal direction
* Strong analytical and technical ability
* Good IT skills in a range of SW packages would be advantage
* A practical nature to understand and support the extension of the work to hardware design/development and testing an advantage.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Lockheed Martin recognises and actively promotes the benefits of a diverse workforce and is committed to treating all employees with dignity and respect regardless of race, gender, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion or belief. Discrimination on any of these grounds is expressly forbidden. We therefore welcome applications from all sections of the community.